Welcome to DIY Fridays — today’s project: a DIY homemade cat toy! I’ve been busy making cat toys in an effort to help our two kitties Teddy and Leo adjust to each other, following our recent adoption of Leo. This homemade cat toy wand has proven to be a winner! — a fun toy that can withstand heavy play without falling apart. We’ve put it to the test!
- fleece fabric (I used an old fleece pullover) — stay away from using yarn as it can block your furry friend’s intestines if swallowed.
- twine or heavy string
- thin dowel (cut it to size and sand the end — I made mine 17″)
- needle and thread
- fabric scissors
- hot glue gun
Instructions (see screenshots below for each step):
- Cut five strips of fleece 6″ long and about 1/4″ wide.
- Place four strips side by side in the center of a 5th. strip.
- Tie ends of 5th. strip together in a tight double knot.
- Cut a 40″ length of jute string (you will tailor the length later). Wrap one end around the tip of your dowel that you have coated in hot glue. The wrap should be about 1 1/2″ in length. (Tip: Apply a bit of hot glue to the dowel, wrap some of the string around it, and repeat until you’ve reached your desired wrap length.) Cut remaining string to 28″ long.
- Bring ends of 5th. strip together again and tie once loosely, leaving a hole.
- Slip the jute line through the hole.
- Pull the 5th. strip of fleece tightly and double knot it around the jute.
- Tie the jute in a double knot.
- Clip extra jute.
- Sew multiple stitches back and forth through the fleece knot to secure the strips. I recommend using a larger needle so you can get through the layers of fabric with ease. (Tip: Don’t skip this step. Without the stitches, your cat can easily pull the fleece strips out — I know this from experience.) Voila! Have fun playing with your pet(s)!
Other DIY projects that you might enjoy!: